The Speaker of Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature: Hon BT Shongwe
Constitutional mandate of the Speaker:
• The Speaker gives political direction in the Legislature;
• The Speaker enforces the observance of all rules for preserving order during parliamentary
• The Speaker advises Members of all parties, who consult him/her, on actions they propose taking in
the House or upon any questions of order that are likely to arise during proceedings;
• The Speaker interprets rules and regulations governing the allowances and other benefits of office
determined for Members by the Head of State;
• The Speaker authorises the requisitioning and control of all the facilities and services provided for
Members in the building complex which houses the Members of the Provincial Legislature
• The Speaker exercises control over the expenditure and the appropriation of moneys for the
services of the Legislature concerned and has to make administrative decisions as are necessary
for the proper servicing and functioning of the Legislature;
• The Speaker exercises the function of Treasury
Office of the Speaker
The purpose is to provide political leadership, and management support to ensure effective functioning of the Legislature and the Office of the Speaker respectively towards the fulfilment of the constitutional mandate
Chief of Staff
The purpose is to provide effective and efficient support to the Executive Authority and ensure that the strategic and financial functions of the Division are executed.
The purpose is to advise the Executive Authority in exercising the Treasury function of the Legislature, and to oversee the implementation of prescripts related to financial matters.
The purpose is to provide professional advice and secretariat services to the Speakership in executing political and constitutional responsibilities.
Members’ Affairs and Political Support
The purpose is to provide professional and administrative support services to Members in order to fulfil the constitutional mandate of the Legislature.
Inter-parliamentary Relations and Parliamentary Advisory Services
The purpose is to provide professional parliamentary advisory and protocol services in support of the core business of the Legislature.
Hon. VS Siwela
Speaker: Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature